Sun 3/60 Subsystem problem

Steven Sakata steven at uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
Wed Dec 5 13:00:00 AEST 1990

SYSTEM:

     Sun 3/60 running SunOS 3.5 connected to a Sun 3/Mass Storage Subsystem

PROBLEM:

1) When trying to boot off of the disk, I get the following message:

     Waiting for disk to spin up

2) When booting off of (and later retension) the tape, I get the following:

     >b st()
     Boot: st(0,0,0)
     scsi:dma never completed
     st: error=30 sense key=6
     scsi:dma never completed
     st: error=30 sense key=6
     Boot: load failed
     >b st(0,0,100)
     Boot: st(0,0,100)
     st: error=18 sense key=1
     getbyte error, target never set REQ
     getbyte error, phase mismatch
     invalid status msg=FFFFFFFF
     st: error=30 sense key=6

     Device not found

The manuals said the disk message might mean a loose cable connection, but
after receding and reconnecting all the cables, still no luck.  I couldn't
find any explanations for the tape messages.  Anyway, these are SCSI
devices, and they used to work.  The only changes made were the system was
physically moved, and more memory was added (and then taken out again
after these problems appeared).  I would appreciate it if anyone had any
ideas on what the problem is.  Could the disk have crashed when moved?

Steven Sakata (University of Hawaii Computing Center)
Internet: steven at uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
BITNET: steven at uhunix.BITNET