SunOS 4.1.1 and Sync SCSI

Mike Anderson mea at sparta.com
Sun Dec 30 12:04:00 AEST 1990

We just got a copy of SunOS 4.1.1 here for our SparcStation 1+ and we are
seeing some bizarre behavior when we try to install it.  First, 4.1.1 now
can perform synchronous SCSI transfers (4.16 MB/s !) to disks, and I think
that is where we are getting into trouble.  We are using 1.2 GB Fujitsu
2263S/H SCSI drives and CDC Wren IVs.  When the Miniroot comes up, it
correctly identifies these disks and says that it will talk to them in
synchronous mode.  I can install the miniroot on sd(0,0,1) (the Fuji swap
partition) and everything seems to go just fine (I install from 150MB
Cartridge tape).  When it then tries to reboot the just installed
miniroot, it craps out with either "Invalid instruction" or "Level 15
interrupt".  The Fuji drive has a jumper that enables synchronous
transfers and the jumper was installed when I got these messages.  I have
also tried it with SCSI 2 enabled on the drive, but to no avail.

When I tried to install 4.1.1 without the Sync transfer jumper installed,
the install seemed to go O.K., but I started getting all kinds of READ
errors from various blocks on the disk (that is when I tried the sync
jumper).  I've also tried reformatting the drive in the various
configurations (no sync jumper; sync jumper; sync jumper and SCSI 2; etc.)
and still no luck.  Has anyone seen this problem?  Any clues as to how I
can get around it?  The faster SCSI transfer speed sure would be nice if
it works.  Otherwise, is there a way to install 4.1.1 but turn off the
SCSI synchronous transfers in the Kernel?

Thanks for any suggestions and I'll summarize to the net.

Mike Anderson
mea at sparta.com
(703) 448-0210