SUN workstation for general image processing

mr w.j. ho sci240s at monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
Sun Dec 9 09:07:00 AEST 1990

I have just been asked by my department to recommend and suggest (with my
"life" at stake if the system is not proper for our applications) the
configuration of a SUN workstation for our work in image processing, 3D
image reconstruction, Neural Network application in image processing, and
some other work in fractals-textural type of image synthesis.

The budget is not very much. Approximately A$40K ( approx US$30K ). The
equipments we have at the moment are PC compatibles (mostly 286/287's) and
a Datacube.

We will like to be able to run X-Windows (since there is a lot of
available software for it). I'm also required to state why is that
configuration sufficient or best to suit our needs.

Since I do not have much experience with SUNs, can any kind-experienced
person/s out there give me some of their experiences and perhaps mistakes
that should not be repeated.

Thank you very much!

Wey Jing Ho   Tel: 61-3-5732567   E-mail : sci240s at monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
Physics Dept., Monash University ( Caulfield Campus ), Melbourne, AUSTRALIA