Sharing a printer with Macs

seila!dksfr!don at mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov seila!dksfr!don at mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 20 14:08:05 AEST 1990

We have an ethernet TCP/IP network which includes, amongst other things,
Macs and Suns.  The Suns (Sparcstation 1+'s) are of course networked and
are running the most recent version of SunOS.

The Macs (MacIIfx, MacIIci) are running the most recent version of the Mac
system.  They have ethernet cards and MacTCP installed.  We can telnet
from the Macs to the Suns without problems.

We have a postscript printer (HP laserjet III with the new HP postscript
cartridge).  It has both appletalk and serial interfaces.

How can we share this printer between the Macs and Unix machines?  That
is, we want to be able to print normally from within Mac applications, and
also print ascii or postscript files from the Suns via the lpr/lpd system.
Ideally, the solution would not require us to have the Macs connected to
BOTH an appletalk and an ethernet LAN.

I believe I've seen products advertised which solve this, but don't seem
to have clipped the ads... so thanks for pointers!

Don Kossman, SEI Information Technology, Los Angeles
...mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov!seila!don