Sparcengine 1E serial pinout needed

David L. Markowitz dav at genisco.gtc.com
Wed Dec 12 08:11:57 AEST 1990

In comp.sys.sun bob at psitech.com (Bob Posert) writes:

>I just received three Sparcengine 1e's, and the docs are "on the way." I'd
>like to get the diagnostics, etc. going, but the serial connectors use a
>vga (like an IBM pc) connector.  The local Sun office doesn't know the
>pinouts.  Can the net be of help?

Excerpted from the 1E manual chapters 18 & 19: (c) Sun Microsystems

Serial A Definition:

The A serial port interface supports asynchronous RS-423 with full modem
control lines, and supports RS-449 on selected lines.  [...]  In addition
to the RS-423 interface logic, four of the signals are brought out to
separate connector pins via RS-422 compatible drivers, and receivers.
Transmit Dta (TxD), Receive Data (RxD), Request to Send (RTS) and XClear
to Send (CTS) signals are provided for use in electrically noisy
environments or where longer cable lengths are required.

Serial A Performance:

Async Speed: 19.2 baud		[ I assume they meant 19.2 Kbaud here ]
Sync Speed:  9600 baud

The Synchronous Serial Communications Controller (Z8530) will support data
rates up to 2M bps.  However, RS-232 limits transmission rates in
asynchronous mode to 20K bps, and RS-423 limits data ratrs to 100K bps.
The maximum baud rate supported by the boot PROM on the SPARCengine 1E is
19.2K bps and assumes a 1/16 bit clock divisor.  Faster bit rates can be
programmed for custom applications.  Refer to the Z8530 SCC tech manuals
for more details.  For reference, the clock input  to the SCC for baud
rate generation is 4.9152 MHz.

The Connector:

[Because 25-pins wouldn't fit]  The connector style is a 15-pin 3-row
female (or receptacle) connector housed in a standard DB-9 shell, commonly
referred to as a "double-density" or "high-density" connector.  Mating
(plug) connectors are available from a variety of vendors.  Below are
several:

	Manufacturer	Part Number
	------------	-----------
	AMP		204501-3
	ITT Cannon	ZDEA111981
	Viking		DDS2MS1

Serial A Connector Pinout List (connector J1201):

	Signal	Pin	Comments
	------	---	------------------
	GND	1	Ground
	TxD	2	Transmit Data (RS-423 only)
	RxD-	3	Receive Data- (RS-423 and RS-422)
	RTS	4	Request to Send (RS-423 only)
	CTS-	5	Clear to Send- (RS-423 and RS-422)
	DSR	6	Data Set Ready
	DTR	7	Data Terminal Ready
	DCD	8	Data Carrier Detect
	RTS+	9	Request to Send+ (RS-422 only)
	RTS-	10	Request to Send- (RS-422 only)
	CTS+	11	Clear to Send+ (RS-422 only)
	TxD+	12	Transmit Data+ (RS-422 only)
	TxD-	13	Transmit Data- (RS-422 only)
	RxD+	14	Receive Data+ (RS-422 only)
	GND	15	Chassis Ground

Port B is similar, but has the following differences:

Synchronous lines have been added to support SunLink (TxC, TxCO, and RxC).
It (apparently?) does not fully support RS-422 handshaking.

Serial B Connector Pinout List (connector J1202):

	Signal	Pin	Comments
	------	---	------------------
	GND	1	Ground
	TxD	2	Transmit Data (RS-423 and RS-232)