CD-ROM on SS1+ & SLC problem

Leif Andrew Rump andrew at resam.dk
Mon Dec 17 02:26:03 AEST 1990

We have tried to connect a CD-ROM player from NEC (CDR-75) and one from
Sony (6111-11) to a SS1+ and a SLC without any luck so far. Has any one
experience in connecting CD-ROM players from SUN and other vendors to the
SS1 & SLC?

Our environment is as follows:
SunOS:		4.1 (Generic kernel configuration)
SS1+ ROM:	1.3
SLC ROM:	1.4

CD-ROMs SCSI address:	6
SCSI parity:		none

NEC external CD-ROM drive model:	CDR-75
Sony external CD-ROM drive model:	6111-11

When probing for SCSI devices in the PROM monitor we receive the following
response from the drive:
	Sony:	TARGET 6
	NEC:	No response

When booting the WS we get the following warning from both the NEC and Sony:
	esp0: at SBUS slot 0 0x800 000 pri 3
	esp0: Warning - no devices found for this SCSI bus

When trying to access the drive from SunOS:
	mount -rt hsfs /dev/sr0 /mnt

we get the following error:
	/dev/sr0: No such device or address

Thank you