What is SUN's official upgrade policy?

Robert L. Howard rhoward at msd.gatech.edu
Sun Dec 9 09:07:00 AEST 1990

In <610 at brchh104.bnr.ca> root at athena.cs.uga.edu (Operator) writes:

>In article <384 at brchh104.bnr.ca> dan at doctor.chem.yale.edu (Dan Severance)
>writes:

>>Can anyone comment on the probability that SUN will offer an upgrade to
>>the SparcStation 2 from a SparcStation 1?

>Yes, SUN does have an upgrade for $7k. You get a new chassis, 16 MB RAM,
>and a 207 MB disk.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not so sure about the disk....  Here's what I got from my Sun person:

Upgrades
--------

SPARCstation 1 or 1+ to SPARCstation 2 Upgrade
    8 MB 4/60 or 4/65 to 16 MB 4/75 Base Swap
                        UG4/6X-V16      $6,995          A

Notes: 1. No country kit required.

       2. SPARCstation 2 upgrades require SunOS 4.1.1 or later release, order
           USS2-07 or USX-21 at no charge if media is required.

       3. Additional memory must be ordered as a separate line item.

       4. For internal or external storage option, order as separate line item.

It doesn't say anything about getting a new disk.  If you already had 2 in
your SS1, you wouldn't have anywhere to put the extra drive!

The question that I have is this.  A new SS2 comes with GX as the base
graphics option.  If you do an upgrade from a regular color SS1, do you
get GX or do you get stuck with the old color card?

| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward at msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |
| (404) 528-7165               |    Atlanta, Georgia  30332             |
|     UUCP:   ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!msd!rhoward        |