NIS Server/Slaver Communications help needed.

N Skilling nsk at castle.ed.ac.uk
Wed Dec 5 13:00:00 AEST 1990

In article <438 at brchh104.bnr.ca> tcurrey at x102a.ess.harris.com (currey tom 76327) writes:
>Problem:  When I add an account to the Master, It does not push the passwd
>file across to the other slaves.  I have each machine in /etc/hosts, and

You have not set up yppasswdd ( rpc.ypasswdd ) to check the /etc/passwd
file and then do a make on a change. I have the following line in my
rc.local file on the NIS master. This forces a make in /var/yp when
/etc/passwd is altered automatically. Remember it make take a few minutes
to update the slaves depending on system load.

-- Lines from rc.local

if [ -f /usr/etc/rpc.yppasswdd -a -d /var/yp/`domainname` ] ; then
        /usr/etc/rpc.yppasswdd /etc/passwd -m passwd
fi

Neil SKilling