AT-bus cards on a SS?

Greg Koolbeck - 520 gregk at kong.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Dec 9 09:07:00 AEST 1990

I have an off-the-wall question for the Sun community: does anyone know of
an S-bus to AT-bus adapter, so that AT-bus devices can be connected to a
SparcStation? We have a 386i/150 (boo, hiss) that we'd love to trade in
for a reasonably reliable system, i.e., a SS1. The problem is that the
386i is being used as a mail gateway between a 3com 3+ network and our
TCP/IP machines, and beyond them onto the Internet. It accomplishes this
by having two Ethernet connections, one standard Intel board connected to
our TCP/IP net, and a 3com EtherLink II on the AT-bus that connects to the
3+ groups. Mail forwarding is accomplished by a DOS window process on the
386i. I talked to the gateway vendor, and they indicated that they can't
get the information necessary from 3com to reimplement the gateway
software with any other Ethernet board, which leaves us committed to the
386i, unless we can find a way to get that blasted EtherLink board working
on an S-bus machine. Anyone got any suggestions?

		Greg Koolbeck
                Systems Programmer
                NASA Goddard/RMS Tech.