NeWSprint questions

Brain in Neutral bin at primate.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 18 07:25:52 AEST 1990

1) The NeWSprint bundle comes with the software, a SPARCprinter and an
   interface card.  The card goes in an Sbus slot and provides a parallel
   interface for the printer.  But how many printers can go on a SPARCstation
   (e.g., a SS 2).  One per available slot?

2) Can the NeWSprint software be used to produce raster images for
   printers that are *not* physically connected to the SS?  (If not, the
   utility of this stuff is obviously more limited.)  Suppose I have a driver
   for printer X.  One X printer is connected to my SS.  That's fine, I can
   use it.  I have another one connected to a VAX.  Can I get access to the
   rasterized image produced by NeWSprint so that I can send it to the VAX
   for output on that printer?  (e.g., using Berkeley lpr protocol.)

Paul DuBois
dubois at primate.wisc.edu