Sun 4/1xx vs Sun 4/2xx using mmap()

John C. Schultz schultz at halley.serc.3m.com
Mon Dec 31 14:23:52 AEST 1990

Possible solution #1

I use mmap() calls to access image processing boards as VME24D16 devices.
This works fine on a Sun 3, including the ability to do symbolic debugging
of the VME board's registers.  Howver on a Sun 4/330, SunOS 4.0.3, trying
to get gdb (or dbx) to access the registers hangs the cpu (L1-a time).  As
I recall, this is a problem with the device driver under 4.0.3.

Probable solution #2

Using the VME24D32 device implies that your VME board has 32 bit
addressing which in turn implies that it has both a P1 and a P2 VME
backplane connector, both of which must be connected to the SUN VME
backplane connectors.  My guess is that for whatever reason, your board
should be addressed as a VME24D16 device.

John C. Schultz                    EMAIL: schultz at halley.est.3m.com
3M Company,  Building 518-01-1     WRK: +1 (612) 733-4047
1865 Woodlane Drive, Dock 4,       Woodbury, MN  55125