DosWindows

Walter D. Neumann neumann at function.mps.ohio-state.edu
Wed Dec 5 13:00:00 AEST 1990

Some time ago I posted a message about problems running certain software,
in particular UBASIC, under DosWindows on a Sparc 1.  The solution below
may be of interest for all DosWindows users (taken from current UBASIC
docs).

Running UBASIC under DosWindows on a SUN Workstation:

  UBASIC (and several other programs) fail to run correctly on the Sparc 1
  (and maybe other SUN workstations) under DosWindows.

SOLUTION:

  Edit your DosWindows configuration file "setup.pcs" to uncomment "SMALL"
  to make DosWindows think your machine has only 4 meg of memory.  Otherwise
  DosWindows loads additional optimization code which "can cause problems"
  in the words of SUN support.

SUN seems not to be publicising this problem or its fix.  It took me many
phone calls and Email messages over the span of a year to find this out!

 Walter Neumann                     Email:       neumann at mps.ohio-state.edu
 Department of Mathematics                       neumann at ohstpy.bitnet
 Ohio State University              Fax: 614-292-3639 to Neumann, Math Dept
 Columbus, OH 43210          Tel: (614)-292-4886(office) 292-4975(messages)