INODE errors on SPARCstation

Oreo Cat jim at ferkel.ucsb.edu
Sat Dec 1 08:16:17 AEST 1990

Changing the users in the kernel will only *help*.  It's not going to make
your ingres mess up.  Tell whoever made the mistake with the transfer to
get a life before he goes blaming all his problems on you.  Not sure what
your problem is, but I do know that you are using up lots of memory with
your applications.  What might be happening is that you are using up swap
space.  This wouldn't explain the running out of inodes unless you are
swapping on a file.  I suspect you might be doing this as you have a
non-standard swap size.  I beleive that 32 meg swap is also too small for
a 24 meg machine.  The usual rule of thumb which has worked well for me,
and is mentioned somewhere deep inside the installation manual is that you
should have your swap space should be twice the size of real memory.  So
you should have 48 megs of swap.  With something as big as a multi-user
database, this could make a big difference.  And also, if at all possible,
make it as a single disk partition on a local disk.  Don't swap over the
network to your Sun 3 as this will kill your performance.  Also you really
should reconfig your kernel.  Do it without telling anyone and see if it
helps.  Also, I consider it very valuable to sit down and just read the
manuals every once in a while.  Even if you don't have any problems, you
can learn a lot from the manuals.  I often find a solution to a problem
I've had for months just by browsing through the manual one day.

                            Jim Lick
      jim at ferkel.ucsb.edu	|	bahamut!jim at ivucsb.sba.ca.us