WangDAT 4mm tape usage questions

Dan O'Neill dan at asihub.autosys.com
Sat Dec 8 11:52:00 AEST 1990

Hardware:	Sun Sparc 1+ (4/65)
OS:		4.1
Disks:		1.2mb CDC
Tape:		WangDAT

I am looking for information regarding the usage of a WangDAT drive on a
Sun system.  We've been experimenting with the tape drive and have been
experiencing back times like:

4.7hrs to backup 500mb using dump with the following parameters
"dump 5ubdfs 4096 488000 /dev/rst0 200 /filesys"

This time is really not reasonable for this type of tape device.  Does
anybody have any experience with this tape unit?  Are there some internal
buffers in the kernel which must be altered to support 4mm tape units?
Any and all answers/speculation will be appreciated.

Dan O'Neill                     Cadence Design Systems
dan at autosys.com                 San Diego, CA
{uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!dan