DOS and parallel port on Sparcstation

Jiri Dvorak dvorak at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Dec 1 08:16:17 AEST 1990

Is there an easy way to use a parallel port under DOS on a Sparcstation?
I can think of the following two options:

- DOS Windows and a (third party) Sbus card with parallel port.
- a Sbus DOS card with parallel port (either on the same board or on a
  separate Sbus card)

I have asked our third party Sbus card suppliers and found out that the
Puzzle Systems Synergy386 card does not have an own parallel port and that
they don't know about using Synergy386 or DOS Windows with a Sbus parallel
card.

I'd be be glad to hear from someone who has tried it (either successfully
or not).  Writing an own device driver is no solution, as I have neither
time nor experience.

I need the parallel port under DOS for driving a scanner (yes, I know
that there are scanners that connect directly to Sun's).

I'll summarize if I get some answers.

Thanks,
Jiri Dvorak                  dvorak at iam.unibe.ch   or
Institute for Informatics    dvorak%iam.unibe.ch at relay.cs.net
University of Berne          UUCP: ..!uunet!mcsun!iam.unibe.ch!dvorak
Switzerland