Serial port problems on the sparc I

Paul Orphanos porphano at lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu
Tue Jul 17 10:00:16 AEST 1990

Now that I got slip running (thanks to those who e-mailed with help), I'm
having another problem. Slip is crashing my system (data panic) with ring
and silo buffer overflows. As far as I can tell, the kernel is not
servicing the serial interrupts fast enough to keep the hardware buffer
from overflowing, and thus the data panics. This is the only reasonable
explanation I can think of.

Has anyone seen this before? I sent tracebacks to my sun rep two weeks
ago, and I've gotten nothing back yet. I'm working on how to get slip to
auto connect when the system crashes, but even on a light load (no user
processes running, and a simple terminal session on the slip line), the
system crashes. This makes it sort of dumb to keep reconnecting if it's
going to crash many times a day.

configuration: sparc 1, gx graphics, 19" color, 16mb ram, 64mb swap,
800mb disk, sunos 4.0.3c

this is getting rediculous...any help is worshipped,
paul orphanos
porphano at lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu (a stable system)
porphano at calvin.sfc.lehigh.edu (<--if my slip line would stay up)