Whither des(1) and crypt(1) in 4.1?

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Sun Jul 15 04:06:53 AEST 1990

>Does this make SunOS 4.1 == SunOS 4.1 EXPORT, i.e. no special export lic.
>needed, and identical OS in the US and out of it?

Well, sort of.  4.1 is supplied in export form; there's an add-on tape for
domestic customers that includes all that top-secret high-technology
state-of-the-art encryption stuff that you furriners can't get.  (Sigh,
maybe someday somebody'll convince the US government that you don't need
to impose these stupid restrictions on the encryption stuff....) I don't
know whether the encryption tape comes standard on domestic deliveries, or
if you have to order it separately.