Dump says corrupted directory in Pass II

Technician tech%easby.durham.ac.uk at pucc.princeton.edu
Mon Jul 30 23:39:55 AEST 1990

In article <10092 at brazos.Rice.edu>,
ballen at csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Bruce Allen) writes:
> The problem seemed to be the file called "!".  When this was
> removed, dump was happy again.

To which David Steffens ( eplunix!das at harvard.harvard.edu ) replied
*It can't be quite that simple.  My users are constantly creating files
*with wacko names :-) and I have never had any trouble dumping them.  Just
*now I made a directory with a file named "!" in it and I was able to dump
*the filesystem with no problem.

My experience is that 'wacko names' do cause problems, never with dump, as
David say's, but with restore, once had to restore an entire partition
interactively because restore got upset by a whack'd file name, so
couldn't make its tree grow.  Hence users here get no sympathy (and
sometimes the Grim Reaper) for problems associated with using meta
characters in file names.

Thats under SUN OS 3.4 (still in the dark ages).

And a question to finish off, who knows what about Ciprico controllers
under 4.1 (thats a RF3500, and 3200 I think ;-), ie are the drivers now
standard, if not how hard/easy/impossible to port are they.

Thanks in advance.

tech at uk.ac.durham.easby (Jim Cottrell - software technician and all round
			 spelling dunce).