Slow NFS writes

"Mark_Weiser.PARC" at xerox.com "Mark_Weiser.PARC" at xerox.com
Sat Jul 21 02:09:50 AEST 1990

|"I have heard that in some versions of NFS, one can get the server to
|acknowledge immediately rather than after the actual disk write (with an
|obvious but probably small risk of disk file corruption when the server
|goes down). Is this possible under SunOS?"

This is a server property, of course.  The new MIPS file servers running
their OS 4.5 allow you to set this behavior on a file-system by
file-system basis.  We have one uses exclusively as a file server, use it
almost always in this fast write mode, and are pretty happy.