ldconfig usefulness/worthlessness

Duane Voth duanev at mcc.com
Fri Jul 13 01:45:11 AEST 1990

I personaly like to keep libraries for special systems in non-system
directories (eg. X window libs in /usr/lib/X11) but this means everyone
has to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in their environment.  Sun gives us ldconfig as
alternative option but the way ldconfig is used in rc.local seems to make
it worthless.  It would seem obvious to me that if ldconfig only accepts
extra library directories as command line arguments that the rc would use:

	ldconfig `cat /etc/ldconfig.libs`

or something.  Are we expected to hack rc.local to add specific library
directories?  Any ideas y'all have on this will be appreciated.