Building GNU EMACS 18.55 on Sparc Sunos4.1

peter_colby at viewlogic.com peter_colby at viewlogic.com
Tue Jul 17 21:41:49 AEST 1990

In SunSpots Digest  v9n254 Ross Mitchell writes
> 	I'm having problems getting EMACS 18.55 to run on our sparc (sunos 4.1).
> I am doing "make" and "make install" from the EMACS root directory. No
> errors occur. Everything gets compiled ok, the executables get created,
> and put in the right place. However, when I try to execute "emacs" I get
> the following error message:
>
> 	>Fatal error (6).Abort (core dumped)

This problem is known to Sun and the solution was published in Sun's
Software Technical Bulletin of either March or April 1990.

In src/config.h add the line

#define SYSTEM_MALLOC

I had the same problem and this fixed it.  NOTE: I am now running
Epoch-3.2b and I noticed that I did NOT include this define in
src/config.h for epoch yet epoch built and runs fine.

	Peter Colby
	peter at viewlogic.com