rfs_read from non-file messages

David Steffens eplunix!das at harvard.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 26 09:45:54 AEST 1990

Within the last few days I've been seeing bursts of messages like:
  Jul 23 23:36:24 earlobe vmunix: rfs_read: attempt to read from non-file

These messages are logged on the console of our Sun4/280 fileserver
running SunOS 4.0.3.  They seem to be related to the activities of one
particular user on a Sun4/260 also running SunOS 4.0.3 which mounts two
filesystems from the server via NFS.

All I've been able to determine so far is that the messages originate in
the nfs_server module of vmunix.  I can't reproduce them by reading
non-files on the server, e.g. directory or symbolic link, from the client.
Nor can I figure out what the user could be doing to cause the messages.

Aside to Sun -- If it's important enough to clutter up my console log, why
not give me a hint as to what's _causing_ the problem so I can _fix_ it?
Something like the _name_ or _inode_ of the "non-file" would be helpful!

{harvard,mit-eddie,think}!eplunix!das	David Allan Steffens
243 Charles St., Boston, MA 02114	Eaton-Peabody Laboratory
(617) 573-3748 (1400-1900h EST)		Mass. Eye & Ear Infirmary