spurious "connect: Host is unreachable"

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Tue Jul 31 10:14:51 AEST 1990

In article <10306 at brazos.Rice.edu>, hoelzle at neon.stanford.edu (Urs
Hoelzle) writes:
|> On our network we see the following phenomenon: whenever a connection to a
|> remote host is built, the first connection attempt will fail, giving the
|> message "connect: Host is unreachable".  If retried within a couple of
|> minutes, it will always work.  This happens with mail, ftp, telnet, rlogin

The symptoms are wierd, and it's hard to be sure without hands on the
affected system, but I can give a plausible scenario.  Your machine lacks
a default route, but has the netmask set to attempt local delivery to the
whole world.  You do your telnet (etc) and a broadcast ARP packet goes
out.   Your gateway trustingly forwards the thing and it rattles around
Stanford bothering people and causing network storms.  A nearby gateway
answers with an "unreachable" ICMP error code and you get your user-level
error message.  Shortly after, your local gateway decides to do a proxy
ARP response saying "send it to me".  It's too late for the initial
connection but subsequent attempts use the cached Ethernet address,
bypassing the ARP broadcast, until the cache entry times out (about 20
minutes if I remember right).

Why the gateway is slow with the proxy ARP is unclear.  Maybe it's too
busy sending "unreachable" packets to you.

Suggestions:  Use a conventional routing setup, assuming that this is
possible at Stanford (I've heard strange things about networking there).

	/etc/ifconfig le0 `hostname` netmask 0xffffff00
	/etc/route add default name.of.gateway 2
	/etc/arp -a		(to print out the ARP cache for diagnosis)

Turn off broadcast packet forwarding and maybe forget about proxy ARP.
How you do this depends on the gateway.  Suns never forward broadcasts,
and need a kernel hack to produce proxy ARP.  Note, if your YP server (if
any) is beyond the gateway (not a wise move) you can't turn off broadcast
forwarding.  Some obsolete equipment that can't handle routing relies on
the gateway's proxy ARP, so be alert for obsolete stuff breaking if you
turn it off.

James F. Carter        (213) 825-2897
UCLA-Mathnet;  6221 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90024-1555
Internet: jimc at math.ucla.edu            BITNET: jimc%math.ucla.edu at INTERBIT
UCP:...!{ucsd,ames,ncar,gatech,purdue,rutgers,decvax,uunet}!math.ucla.edu!jimc