long integer types in Pascal

Tim Eakin tim at walt.cc.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 31 02:01:09 AEST 1990

I need to use long integer data types in a Pascal program to be run on
either a Sun or an Apollo.  Apparently the only built-in integer data
types for the Sun pc compiler and the Apollo Domain PASCAL are 2-byte and
4-byte integers, not nearly large enough for my application.  There is a
built-in long integer type in Apple Pascal for the Apple II that
accomodates up to 16-byte integers, but I have not been able to determine
from the documentation how this was constructed.

So, do any of you Pascal gurus in netland know of a way to construct
arbitrary length integer data types?  If so, I would really appreciate any
hints or recipes you may have.  Thanks !

tim at walt.cc.utexas.edu