Sendmail

Jeff Dickson jdickson at jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 26 00:34:03 AEST 1990

I recently upgraded to SUN O.S. 4.1 and did not realize at the time that
it was possible to retain use of the nameserver nor did I have enough disk
space to load the custom libraries so I could build in that capability.  A
while ago I wrote an application under SUN O.S. 4.0, that runs fine under
SUN O.S. 4.1, that talks SMTP directly with our subnet gateway to send
mail to any host on the internet. I was looking to replace the part of my
sendmail that attempts to figure out where to send mail with a rehack of
my program so as to off-load the actual sending of mail to our subnet
gateway machine.  I realize this is why there is such thing as subsidary
sendmail, but I want to try it my way. Anyone have any idea of how my
program could get responsible for the actual attempt to deliver mail. I
guess that would mean that my program would also have to be able to give
some feedback as to if our subnet gateway could do the mail in the first
place. Any help would be much appreciated.  Even clues.

Jeff S. Dickson					jdickson at zook.jpl.nasa.gov