SunOS bug list/4.1 problems with locking

kdenning at ksun.naitc.com kdenning at ksun.naitc.com
Wed Jul 25 01:13:16 AEST 1990

A couple of things that I'd like some answers to:

1) We've run into a really strange problem with file locks.  From time to
   time we'll see messages of the form "fcntl: no record locks available"
   followed (usually) by "rpc.lockd: out of lock".  At the time this occurs
   there is nothing unusual running on the system.  This is a shared services
   machine, and serves email and the automount master file databases for our
   entire network.  Needless to say, these messages are not nice to see at
   all!  The shared directories, however, are not normally written into by
   the client systems, thus I don't believe that the clients have anything to
   do with this directly.

2) Some problems inexplicably drop core, including sendmail (!) and smail3
   (!!).  There are references to this being environment-length sensitive in
   some other newsgroups; does anyone have hard evidence on this, or even
   better yet, a fix?

Sun's support has been less than stellar on these issues; we would like to
be able to feel good about the systems, but right now my 386/ix machine is
more reliable!

Secondly, we (and I'm sure lots of other people) would REALLY like to have
a list of fixed bugs in a nice compendium somewhere.  I don't care how
it's distributed, electronically or otherwise, but the patches and the
bugs they repair would be most appreciated.  It appears that these are not
normally distributed to users.

Thanks for the assistance!

Karl Denninger	AC Nielsen
kdenning at ksun.naitc.com