Changing "system disk" on SS1+

Karl Denninger karl at naitc.chi.il.us
Wed Jul 18 05:57:21 AEST 1990

In article <9853 at brazos.Rice.edu> forgen!jim at uunet.uu.net (Jim Hood) writes:

>I have an SS1+ with two internal Quantum 105's; I also have on order a
>Fujitsu 2263SA. When I install the new disk I would like to make it the
>system disk.
>
>As I read the manuals, the "system disk" is by default sd0, so there are
>(at least) two ways to shuffle things around. 1)The Hardware Route - get
>into the pizza box and change the jumper on the current 0th disk from scsi
>target 3 to target 2, and set new disk target to 3. 2) Software Route -
>change the target declarations in the kernel and eeprom from the 31204567
>order to 21304567, and set new disk target to 2.

Easy.  Try the following from "new" monitor mode (the "ok" prompt):

setenv boot-from sd(,3)

This will have the system boot from the external disk drive.  You should
set that one to target 0 if I remember correctly.  We have lots of this
kind of configuration need here, and it works for us.

Karl Denninger
karl at kbox.naitc.com
(708) 317-3285