More 4.1 rpc.yppasswdd woes.

Casper H.S. Dik casper at fwi.uva.nl
Fri Jul 6 23:51:53 AEST 1990

Because we now have a crypt(3) that runs > 500 crypts/s on a SS1+, I
wanted to install shadow password files with NIS.  So I converted the
password file, created the ypmaps, started rpc.pwdauthd and it looked
fine.

However, when I tried to change a password the following happened:

Error from ypmaster: No password in adjunct.

and in my logfile: yppasswdd[59]: yppasswdd: no passwd in adjunct for casper.

After some investigations I discovered that fgetpwaent(3) is broken.
(also in sunos 4.03) It reads the file and returns a 0 ptr.  (One could
argue against this being a bug, since fgetpwaent(3) is mentioned in the
manual pages but no information regarding its use is provided)

This means that when I start rpc.yppasswd as:
	rpc.yppasswdd $YPDIR/passwd $YPDIR/security/passwd.adjunct -m \
			passwd passwd.adjunct DIR=$YPDIR

Somebody tries to change his password ...

rpc.yppasswdd opens $YPDIR/security/passwd.adjunct and finds ... nothing.

It would seem that they don't use their own software at Sun.  Somebody has
a fix for this? (a -pic compiled sun3 fgetpwaent.o would do just fine).

Casper H.S. Dik				VCP/HIP: +31205922022
University of Amsterdam     |		casper at fwi.uva.nl
The Netherlands             |		casper%fwi.uva.nl at hp4nl.nluug.nl