Experiences with SunOS 4.1

Ira Winston ira at central.cis.upenn.edu
Sun Jul 22 05:52:56 AEST 1990

I recently upgraded a Sun-4/280 running SunOS 4.0.3 to a SPARCserver 490
running SunOS 4.1.  I have the following observations:

The hostname is now in /etc/hostname.xxn (xxn is the name of the ethernet
interface).  If you use emacs you have to be careful not to leave
/etc/hostname.xxn~ files around.  They confuse /etc/rc.boot.

In order to enter the host's IP address in suninstall you must re-select
the ethernet interface even though it already has an 'x' next to it.

top has to be recompiled.

The -p option to ps is no longer allowed.  It was redundant anyway.

calendar is no longer run by default in crontab.

The default on the newfs command is now '-i 2048' (1 inode per 2048 bytes
of filesystem).  The documented default under 4.0.x was 2048 but in
reality the default was 4096.  The result is that you wind up losing about
5% of your filesystems to the extra space required for the inodes.  I've
been creating new filesystems with 'newfs -i 4096'.

The add_client command seems to randomly delete lines for /etc/exports.
I've been backing up /etc/exports before running add_client to avoid this.

Kyoto Common Lisp (akcl) doesn't work on SPARCserver 490's due to a change
in the maximum DATA segment size.  An (int)&extext in akcl/h/bsd.h has to
be changed to (unsigned)&etext to fix the problem.