Exabyte Tape Storage

Steve Hayman sahayman at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Thu Jul 12 07:16:27 AEST 1990

We'd like to start protecting up our Exabyte 8mm backup tapes.  Since
these are small and not too numerous (we have about 60 at the moment) we
hardly need anything larger than a drawer.  I've been looking at various
inexpensive "fireproof" lockable storage cabinets ranging in size from a
lunchbox to a full-size safe.  There's one that's "file folder size" for
about $50.

Supposedly these will keep paper from charring for an hour or so, however
I think the inside temperature during a fire might still be too much for
tapes (considering what can happen to audio cassettes if you leave them on
the dashboard of your car.)

I'd like to hear from anyone who may have found the ideal product for
keeping 8mm tapes both secure and safe from fire.   One common solution is
to keep copies of the tapes off-site, but if I can find a suitable
inexpensive lockable storage container, I'd rather keep all the tapes near
the drive.

Plesae email me any suggestions and I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks.

Steve Hayman    Workstation Manager   Computer Science Department   Indiana U.
sahayman at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu                                   (812) 855-6984