PC-NFS Backups

S D Law steve at castle.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 19:15:58 AEST 1990

In article <9954 at brazos.Rice.edu> jle at cfm.brown.edu (Jon  Elion) writes:

>> Anybody out there tried using a DOS backup command to backup a local hard
>> disk to a PC-NFS disk?  DOS Backup gives you a  warning message about "All
>> files in the root directory will be erased".  I'd use XCOPY but I have
>> seen it crash when done to a PC-NFS disk.

There are a couple of alternatives you could try.  There is a version of
unix tar which I have used to back up a pc hard disk into one file and put
it on the pc-nfs disk.  There is also a package called pc-lifeline which
works in conjunction with pc-nfs.  It has a few utilities one of which is
that it allows the server to back up the pc hard disk (if the pc is
attached using pc-nfs).