interesting book about Sun Microsystems

Stan Tazuma bcsaic!sundry!stant at beaver.cs.washington.edu
Wed Jul 25 03:24:29 AEST 1990

Readers of this newsgroup might be interested in a new book out.  It's
titled

	SUNBURST:  The Ascent of Sun Microsystems

A co-worker found it in a local Tower Books store.  Here's some of the
particulars.

by Mark Hall and John Barry with Foreword by Tom Peters

Copyright 1990.
Published by Contemporary Books, Inc.
180 North Michigan Avenue,
Chicago, Illinois 60601
ISBN: 0-8092-4368-7

$19.95 is the price (hardback).  297 pages.

Mini-review.
------------
If you're a Sun or Unix or Bill Joy fan you'll like the book.  But it's
also a story of a company that grew from 0 to 2 billion (and growing) in
sales in just 7 years.  It should be significant to anyone in the
computing community that Sun could have done all this with an almost
completely new hardware and software platform, and with almost no
advertising.

It also describes the engineering-driven work environment at Sun that
those of us in software development might have preferred, compared to what
we've experienced in our careers thus far.  Then again, for some persons,
maybe not.  Overtime is common at Sun, and stress is high.

The book isn't perfect, and repeats some things a few times.  I think it's
worthwhile reading though.  You might recommend this to anybody who's new
to the Unix or Sun world of computing.

Stan Tazuma
Boeing Computer Services
	stant%sundry at atc.boeing.com