SunCD - it is real

Richard Stephen stephen at corp.telecom.co.nz
Wed Jul 4 02:10:38 AEST 1990

Greetings. A couple of weeks or so ago, there was speculation in this
group about SunCD. I haven't senn anything before or since, so I'm posting
this.

A few days ago, I was given a press release from Sun Microsystems (NZ)
Ltd. The header of the press release is:

|From:sunaus!relations:press Thu May 31 21:09:51 1990
|To:relations!allsun
|Subject: SUNFLASH! (SunOS 4.1 CD)
|
|The following announcement was made May 15 1990.
|
|SUN SHIPS SUNOS 4.1 ON CD; WILL REDUCE PRICES MORE THAN 30 PERCENT ON
|CD-ROM DRIVES
|
|Will shift to CD-ROM for Distribution in 1991

A summary of the press release is

- Sun are shipping 4.1 on CD now
- to encourage customers to move to CD, they are reducing prices on their
  SunCD storage device by > 30% tp $995 (US $ I believe)
- will give a free copy of 4.1 on CD to new SunCD buyers until August 31.
  (said to be a $300 value)
- Sun plans to convert to CD distribution EXCLUSIVELY (exact word used)
  for all system and application software. Each CD stores 644 MB on a single
  sided disc.
- Sun is encouraging its ISV's to use CD through promotional programs. An
  example quoted is the bundling of SunCD subsytems as part of two SPARCware
  development kits at a 50% discount.
- SunCD comes in two forms: for desktop systems, an external 5 1/4 inch,
  half height package. For SPARC deskside and server systems, it is an
  internally mounted peripheral. Both versions connect via standard SCSI
  interface. The CD drvice is available for all SPARCstations and
  SPARCservers (and then says): for the SPARCstation 370, 470 and
  SPARCserver 490 available in June while remaining SunCD subsystems are
  available now. ???
- The CD contains binaries for the Motorola and SPARC families and the
  SPARC systems can be booted from the CD. People upgrading to 4.1 who buy
  SunCD can get a right-to-use license for $350 (half price) until August
  31.

My comments, based on the release and talking to my Sun reps:

- no direct reference to Sun 3 family. But apparently available as an
  external device. Not clear whether it can be a bootable device on a Sun 3.

- in spite of the word "exclusively", there is a suggestion that tapes
  will be available (but for how long, at what cost and delay??)

- comment from one of the sun people was that he only found the SPARC
  binaries on the CD ! (pre-release version maybe ??)

Richard Stephen                           Technology Strategy
email:stephen at cabernet.corp.telecom.co.nz Corporate Strategy Division
voice:+64-4-823 180                       Telecom Corporation of NZ Ltd
FAX:  +64-4-732 929                       PO Box 570, Wellington, NZ.