Automounter, pwd and getwd()

Arnold de Leon synopsys!arnold at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Jul 7 07:40:54 AEST 1990

How are people dealing with the fact that automounter changes where file
systems are actually mounted.

Here is the scenerio:

Machine A:  automounts /remote/foo  which is actually mounted on
	    /tmp_mnt/remote/foo.  A process on Machine A gets its
            current working directory (it gets /tmp_mnt/remote/foo.
	    It passes  this to machine B.

Machine B: is also automount /remote/foo, but it is currently umounted.
	   It gets the reference to /tmp_mnt/remote/foo.  This does not
	   currently exists, error!

One possible fix I can see is to replace pwd with something know enough to
strip /tmp_mnt (or whatever the automounter is using for its mount
directory).  My understanding is that getcwd() uses pwd but not getwd().
So I would solve it only for applications that use getcwd() and pwd.

Thanks in advance.