Slow SS1+

E. G. Bauman bauman at shell.com
Tue Jul 3 08:22:23 AEST 1990

Greetings all.  Just upgraded from a Sun 386i to a diskless Sparc 1+/GX
with 24MB of ram.  Now most of the time, this Sun just screams.  However,
when I'm using a moderate number (~12) of windows in Sunview, it'll
sometimes page for a few seconds before even echoing what I type.  This
happens right after I switch focus to a new window.  I'm paging over the
ethernet to a 4/280 with Fujitsu 2382 drives on an SMD-4 controller.

Is this normal?  I'm sure there are worse things that could happen, but
it's sort of embarrasing when I'm showing off the computer to have to wait
for it to echo what I type.  I guess a local SCSI disk for paging would
help, but I'd like to avoid the extra noise in my office.

All the above boxes are running 4.0.3.  Thanks in advance for the advice.

	Evan G. Bauman
	Shell Development Company - Westhollow Research Center
	PO Box 1380; Houston, TX 77251-1380
	bauman at shell.com   or for the uucp types: {sun,bcm}!shell!bauman