Exclusive lock on /dev/null

J. Eric Townsend jet at karazm.math.uh.edu
Tue Jul 3 04:16:42 AEST 1990

How do I circumvent this?  I'm using the KIP/CAP software to drive laser
printers, which requires tricking lpd into sending all of its data to the
input filter and never seeing it again.  Part of this includes telling it
the printing device is /dev/null.  If I want to print on two different
printers at the samet time, one has to wait because the other has an
exclusive lock on /dev/null.

It seems odd to me that SunOS allows you to get an exclusive lock on the
bit bucket...

J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet at uh.edu
Bitnet: jet at UHOU
Skate UNIX(r)