Whither des(1) and crypt(1) in 4.1?

Gil Tene devil at TECHUNIX.BITNET
Sun Jul 8 05:49:53 AEST 1990

In article <9703 at brazos.Rice.edu> tar at hilbert.math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes:

>I'm running SunOS 4.1 with the sun4, sun4c, and sun3x releases.  I can't
>seem to find the des(1) and crypt(1) commands (or even their manual pages,
>for that matter).  Looks like it didn't get installed, eh?  However, when
>I did the installation I asked for everything except the UUCP and Versatec
>packages.

Hey, this sounds good for the non-US sun users.  SunOS 4.0 EXPORT, the
SunOS whcih could be exported from the US had a few differences in it. One
of the big ones were no de and crypt routines in libc.a.  I have run into
this "bug" and had to create my own "empty" routines when doing ld -A on
some stuff with sunview.  Sunview looks for these routines, altough it
doesn't need them (sometimes, anyway).

Does this make SunOS 4.1 == SunOS 4.1 EXPORT, i.e. no special export lic.
needed, and identical OS in the US and out of it?

Gil Tene
devil at techunix.technion.ac.il