New Sun IPC (4/

Mark Riordan riordanmr at clvax1.cl.msu.edu
Thu Jul 26 03:54:13 AEST 1990

I just talked to my Sun salespern about the very recently-announced 4/40
("color baby SPARC", we call it).  Here are some details:

The machine is a 25MHz, 16 MIPS SPARCstation with a separate CPU box (like
SPARCstation 1+ and unlike SLC).  Initially, the only monitor available is
a 16-inch color monitor.  The CPU box has 2 SBUS slots and has room for a
floppy and a hard disk.  The box has a smaller footprint than the CPU box
on a SPARCstation 1 or 1+.

A configuration with 16-inch color monitor, 208MB hard disk, and floppy
drive lists for $9995.  A setup like this would have roughly the same
capabilities as a similarly-configured SPARCstation 1+ at 1/3 less cost.

Mark Riordan    riordanmr at clvax1.cl.msu.edu    Michigan State Univ.