Sun rasterfile animation to video on the cheap

FILLMORE at EMRCAN.bitnet FILLMORE at EMRCAN.bitnet
Thu Jul 19 05:13:00 AEST 1990

I would like to take an informal poll of various animation techniques
being used the Sun community.  We have an application running in Patran on
our Sun 3/60 color workstation.  It will generate several hundred Sun
rasterfiles, and our goal is to transfer these images to S-VHS videotape.
Basically I think we need a Sun-compatible genlock to convert RGB to NTSC,
including the extra S-VHS output.  We should be able to get a high-end
S-VHS VCR with single-frame capability.  We could generate this animation
manually by hitting a key on the Sun keyboard to display the next image,
then hitting a button on the VCR, over and over.  It would be nice to have
a little more sophistication by using the Sun serial port to control the
VCR.

Alternatively, is there a way to display a sequence of Sun rasterfiles
quickly enough to go directly to video tape without stopping the VCR?  (On
our Sun using the screenload command in a loop is not quite fast enough)

Is anyone doing anything like this on the cheap?  Does anyone have
recommendations for Sun-compatible genlocks?  Any other comments?  Please
include model numbers, prices and phone numbers if possible.  I will
summarize the responses for the list.

Bob Fillmore, Systems Software & Communications     BITNET:  FILLMORE at EMRCAN
  Computer Services Centre.                         BIX:     bfillmore