Serial port speed

Neil Gorsuch uninet!neil%zardoz.uucp at ics.uci.edu
Wed Jul 18 07:18:01 AEST 1990

In article <9920 at brazos.Rice.edu> andyd at pogo.wv.tek.com (Andy Davidson) writes:
>What is the maximum speed at which one can use the serial port on a Sun
>(particularly the 4/65 if that matters)?  We have heard 19.2 Kbaud and
>38.4 Kbaud --- both from Sun people --- and would like to know what has
>actually been done successfully.  (We would actually like much higher
>speeds, but....)

With our SCSI based serial port expander, baud rates can be any arbitrary
value up to almost 150K baud.  And that limit is there only because the
particular RS232 drivers that it uses starts to produce triangle waves
rather than square waves 8-).

[[Ed's Note: Please note that Neil is an employee of Uninet and as such, his
opinions may be biased :). You can contact him directly for more information
on this product. -bdg]]

Neil Gorsuch     INTERNET: neil at uninet.cpd.com      UUCP: uunet!zardoz!neil
MAIL: 1209 E. Warner, Santa Ana, CA, USA, 92705     PHONE: +1 714 546 1100
Uninet, a division of Custom Product Design, Inc.   FAX: +1 714 546 3726
AKA: root, security-request, uuasc-request, postmaster, usenet, news