Running uucp over X.25

Joe Smith jms at tardis.tymnet.com
Thu Jul 19 11:48:49 AEST 1990

I have gotten uucp up and running between two Sun servers that had modems
connected to the ALM async ports.  Now I need to bring up a uucp
connection to a Sun server that has no async ports at all.  It is using
SunLink-X.25 for its connection to the outside world.  That is, everyone
who uses this machine first connects to a PAD, and the PAD calls the Sun,
which invokes the x29 daemon, which logs the user in on a pty.

My first problem is: How do you make the X.29 connection pass all bytes?
In particular, ^P + ^M is not getting through on input.  It looks like
that and other nontransparent featurs of X.25 are confusing uucico.

My second problem is: How do you make HDB uucp place an outgoing call
using the X.25 interface?  From the description in "System Network &
Administration" for SunOS-4.1, it looks like uucp is flexible enough to do
this.  The paragraph on page 660, where it says "the 'f' protocol is used
for transmission over X.25 networks" implies that this is possible.  But
how?

Is there anything that can be put into /etc/uucp/Devconfig that would help?

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms at tardis.tymnet.com or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C41    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."