Disks in sync mode on SS1+ under 4.1

Jim Hood forgen!jim at uunet.uu.net
Sat Jul 28 06:52:41 AEST 1990

I just attached a Fujitsu M2263SA to my SS1+. An enclosed tech note from
the OEM's office here in Canada states:

"The Sun 4 systems require the drive to operate as SCSI-CCs not SCSI-2.
... The drive can be operated in the synchronous mode."

When I ran the format utility, though, the controller complained:
	"esp0: spurious data in phase from target 2; fifo_flag 0"

However, vendor tech support, when called, instructed me to remove the
appropriate jumper, etc. and disable synchronous mode operation. He was
right, it works fine that way. Now, later I heard a "rumour" that there is
a kernel patch circulating that allows synchronous operation of drives.
True? What gives?

Jim Hood		jim at forgen.uucp  		or:
{ uunet!attcan  att  pyramid!utai  utzoo } !lsuc!forgen!jim