Need utility for Sun to read MS-DOS filesystem image

Hans Lachman lachman at arisia.xerox.com
Mon Jul 2 10:54:48 AEST 1990

I have a 3.5" 1.44MB floppy disk with MS-DOS files on it.  I also have a
SPARCstation 1 with a 3.5" floppy disk drive.  I would like to copy my
MS-DOS files from the floppy into the Sun filesystem.

I put the floppy into the Sun floppy drive and did the following:

        cat /dev/rfd0a > /tmp/foo

The whole floppy filesystem got copied into /tmp/foo.  With Emacs, I found
that all my files were imbedded in this file, intact.  But there are a lot
of files.  What I need now is a program that extracts all of my files from
this one big file, creating subdirectories as needed.

I looked at "mtools" and I don't think they do what I want.

If anyone knows of a slick utility that will help, please EMAIL ME
DIRECTLY.  If there is none, the next best thing would be a pointer to an
explanation of the MS-DOS filesystem format.  Thanks,

        Hans Lachman
        lachman at arisia.xerox.com