The Sun Sparcstation SLC and local disks

bob at morningstar.com bob at morningstar.com
Mon Jul 2 23:06:27 AEST 1990

| Can the SLC run independant of NFS at all or is the SCSI connector just to
| allow a drive for local swap space?

For purposes of this discussion, the SLC (4/20) is just a repackaged SS1
(4/60), with all the rights and privileges appertaining thereto.  For
example, we have an SLC in an engineer's home, connected to the company
network via PPP over a pair of TB+'s (NFS used only occasionally).  He
uses a Maxtor XT-4380S 380Mb local SCSI disk, connected to his SLC via an
appropriately odd-looking cable.  In fact, he formerly had a SS1 but
traded it in on an SLC because the fan noise from the SS1 bothered him.
He simply shut down the SS1 and plugged the *same disk* into the SLC,
powered it up, told the EEPROMs where to look for boot code, and it simply
ran.  This is under 4.0.3c, by the way, because we haven't gone to 4.1
yet.  He can't tell any difference in application or kernel code other
than reduced fan noise.

(I'll Cc: this to sun-spots since I seem to recall a similar or related
question having arisen there.)