Sun rasterfile animation to video cheap

Bruce Allen ballen at csd4.csd.uwm.edu
Sat Jul 21 00:07:12 AEST 1990

A public domain tool that will let you run about 220 frames at > 15
frames/second is available on the sun users group tape, in the superplot
directory.  It is called "movie".  If your 3/60 has 24 Mbytes of memory
this will let you do about 220 900x900 pixel one bit deep frames.  This
program was written by Mark Majka, and I have his e-mail address as
majka at ubc-vision.ubc.ca.

I made a movie on the cheap just by video-taping off the screen.  Everyone
I asked told me it would not work; I tried it with a generic camcorder and
it did work OK.  The techies that I talked to told me that "truevision"
makes a genlock board that one can use to do it better.

You may also want to look into a public domain package called apE,
available via anonymous login from suna.osc.edu.

Bruce Allen