pseudo-diskless/dataless clients

Gary Cattelino zardoz!cerveza!gary at uunet.uu.net
Sat Mar 3 04:33:28 AEST 1990

I agree with eho at clarity.princeton.edu.  The diskless/dataless hybrid
provides a good balence between performance and system administration.  I
have a new Sun 4/490 on order and plan to setup all the Sparc 1
workstations as pseudo-diskless clients.  Almost all the Sparc 1s have two
internal disks.  I am trying to figure out what things to put on the local
disk and what to put on the fileserver.  My plan is to give each
workstation 50 MB of local swap and a local /tmp (about 20 MB sound
right?).  I have been thinking about a local /var, but I'm not sure how
that would work out.  Keeping /var on the fileserver has administration
advantages.  Any thoughts?

Gary A. Cattelino                  Unocal Science & Technology Division
Phone: (714) 528-7201 x2715        376 S. Valencia Avenue
UUCP: uunet!zardoz!cerveza!gary    Brea, CA 92621
      sun!sunkist!cerveza!gary     INTERNET: gary at unocal.COM