Mixing a 892meg Hitachi dk-815 with a 1.2GB CDC Sabre on a Xy 7053 ??

Keith Pyle sequoia!keith at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 14 13:30:19 AEST 1990

In article <5722 at brazos.Rice.edu> Eric Ho writes:

>Also, just wondering if anyone has tried this config before :-
>
> System backplane
> |
> |<--- Xylogics 451  ---->  892 MB Hitachi dk-815
> |                   |
> |                   ---->  empty
> |
> |<--- Xylogics 7053 ---->  1.2 GB CDC Sabre
>                     ---->  empty
>                     ---->  empty
>                     ---->  empty

As of just last night (more correctly early this morning), we have a
configuration very similar to this.  Instead of the Hitachi, we have a
Fujitsu M2361, which has been our only drive on a 3/180.  You can indeed
address the drive on the 7053 as xd? and you can still address the drive
on the 451 as xy0.  We're able to do this - as long as we boot from the
Eagle.  We can even boot a little bit (is this like a little pregnant?)
from the 1.2GB drive, up to the point where you would normally get the
messages about 'root on ...' and 'swap on ...'.  At this point, the 180
decides it's rarp time and starts asking who it is, instead.  If we boot
from xy0 with a kernel that simply knows of the xd device, everything is
fine.  We've got a call in to Sun, but no answer yet.  If anyone has
suggestions, please send me e-mail.  If there is interest and this isn't
the result of blatant 3 AM stupidity, I'll happily summarize the

One other comment:  if you should decide to dump the 451 and put both
drives on the 7053, you'll have to reformat the Hitachi as an xd device.

Keith Pyle                                UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!keith
Execucom Systems Corp., Austin, Texas     Internet: keith at execu.com
                                                    execu!keith at cs.utexas.edu
                                               keith%execu.uucp at cs.utexas.edu