Rdist - Problem with symbolic links and owner/group?

Cory Myers aaec1!cory at dspvax.mit.edu
Sat Mar 10 04:51:30 AEST 1990

I have been using rdist for keeping a "hot" backup of a developing
software system but have found an appearent problem.  I run the rdist as
root because the developing software system has multiple subdirectories
with different owners.  The invocation looks like "rdist -R -c /root_dir
B:/root_dir" on host A.  When rdist updates a symbolic link it creates the
link on B with owner as root and group as wheel, not the original owner
and group as it does for a normal file.  Unfortunately the backup approach
we use sometimes runs in the other direction (from B back to A) and then
the symbolic link on A gets changed to owner root and group wheel.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or better yet, have a fix for it?

Thanks in advance.