Sun-3 Philips monitor HV transformer

Bruce Jerrick bruce at cse.ogi.edu
Thu Mar 22 12:08:53 AEST 1990

Is there any new news on this sad old story?

Are high-voltage transformers (aka flyback transformers) available for the
Philips monitors used on Sun-3's (possibly others)?  This is Philips model
no. M19P114A/6118.  The transformer is Made in Taiwan 5107-140-01781
EIA-528-8719.

Note: This is the notorious Philips monitor on Sun-3's, not the notorious
Philips monitor on Sun-1's and Sun-2's.  One has to be specific about
which notorious Philips monitor one is talking about.

The story has been that they were once available from the supplier, until
Sun told them not to (see "Flyback Transformer question", Sun-Spots
v7n163).  The Apex repair people say they can fix a Philips monitor with a
bad transformer, but I have also heard that the only fix is a replacement
(e.g., Moniterm).

Has anyone had such a case repaired, and do you know what was done?

Can anyone comment on the legality of the enforced unavailability?  Should
we whisper "class action suit, fifty percent" into the ears of a hungry
lawyer?

By the way, my symptoms of failure were a totally dark screen, and a
squeal from the power supply.  That happens because the DC load evidently
goes down, and the screwy Philips power supply needs a *lot* of load to
regulate, so its overvoltage crowbar trips.

If the damn thing wasn't in epoxy, I'd unwind it and wind my own; I know
where there's a market for approximately 10,000 of them.

        Bruce Jerrick
        Oregon Graduate Center, er, uh, Institute
        InterNet:  bruce at cse.ogi.edu
        UUCP:      ogicse!bruce
        Voice:     (503) 690-1157