how is memory configured?

David J. Camp david at wubios.wustl.edu
Mon Mar 5 21:46:44 AEST 1990

We were led to believe that we had 16MB of ram in our Sun 3/260.  However,
the 'top' program reports that we only have 5-6MB.  Either top is broken,
top is reporting something other than real memory, we have not properly
configured the memory on our computer, or we do not really have the 16MB
we thought we have.

Can anyone suggest:
    1)  How can we determine how much memory is installed?
    2)  How is SunOS told how much memory to use?
    3)  What is top reporting?
    4)  How can we make sure we are using the full 16MB?

Thank you very much.

Bitnet:   david at wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios at wugate.wustl.edu   < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wugate!wubios!david         v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110